Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This Has to Stop...

I don't know about you, but as I peruse through social media I am bombarded with political mumbo jumbo. It's as if there's an election or something coming... ;) But in all seriousness, it's crazy out there. I'm not exactly sure if this is 100% accurate, but it seems like every 2 out of 3 posts is politically motivated. As annoying as that is, what's even more aggravating, and makes me want to smack my forehead in utter frustration and shame, is how the Church is joining the political hissy fit. It's bad enough that everyone else feels the need to be a part of this junior high level whine-fest. But it's even worse to hear and see those claiming to be Christ followers front and center in the action.

It has to stop....like yesterday.


Let me let you in on a little secret.....you're not helping. In fact, you're hindering...a lot.


Let me ask you this. Has any one of your politically motivated posts convinced someone of a point, changed an opinion, or better yet pointed to Christ and the gospel??? I'm willing to bet big bucks the answer is a resounding no. So why are you doing it?

After much contemplation of this questions, I can see only one answer.

Pride.

You want to be right. You want to be heard and affirmed that you are right. Bottom line- it's selfishly motivated.

How do I know this? Because of what I see.

I see "christians" excusing behavior as the "lesser of two evils" to further their own agenda. I also see them lashing out violently at those they would call a brother/sister in Christ simply because they disagree on who should run our country. I also see people threatening to end relationships over a difference of opinion. I mean....seriously?!?

People...THIS IS WHAT THE ENEMY WANTS!!! I'm sure that he is frequenting his diabolical laugh, as he dances around with glee every time someone who "claims" Christ opens their mouth in this way. He wants division. He wants dissension. He thrives when the Church takes their eyes off of their Savior and begins to tear down walls and throw ugly daggers within.

Church, please hear me....this has to stop.

The enemy knows that the best way to destroy something is from within. And we are falling like dim-witted prey right into his carefully constructed trap. So consider this your red flag.

You see, when our own agenda becomes front and center, we fall into the role of the enemy's pawn. Our goal should always be to make disciples for Jesus and to love like He did/does- not to push our own agenda and consequently alienate people from the Church. Every time we argue and tear one another down, we are fueling the fire for those who are already skeptical of this whole "Jesus thing". People see the fighting, the arguing, the name-calling (it's uncanny how adults mirror their junior high selves), and the absolute wretchedness that goes on. All it does it make them turn tail and run away faster than a kid who just poked a skunk.

So before you say/post anything, I beg of you to ask yourself these questions:

1. Is it necessary?
2. Will it point someone to Christ?
3. Will it do more harm than good?
4. Does it promote the love of Christ?


If you answer "no" to any of those questions....do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and don't say/post it. Just don't. Yes, it may be a huge struggle to keep your mouth shut. (Believe me I can relate.) But this whole thing is bigger than just you and I. Would you want to stand before God one day and try to explain why you felt the need to promote your agenda instead of reaching out to love those that He allowed His Son to be brutally murdered for? I'm thinking not. I know I don't.

So let's stop bickering and throwing virtual (or literal) punches and let's be the Church. Does that mean we all will agree on everything? Absolutely not. And actually, that can show the Gospel even more- if we agree to disagree in love. And when we disagree let's intentionally pray together- for our nation, for our leaders, and for each other. I guarantee you, that will have more positive affect than any other tactic.




No comments:

Post a Comment