Monday, September 26, 2016

Cleaning my window....

I hate cleaning windows. It may be my least favorite household chore. So...confession....I rarely do it. In fact, we've been in our house almost 2 1/2 years and I just cleaned my first window today. Yup. Gross I know.

I had good intentions. Really I did. Every spring I would say "I should really clean those." And every spring they would sit.

But finally today I said enough was enough. So I cleaned them. Well...two of them anyway. Lol.

What was amazing to me was how dirty they were. (Insert eye roll and "duh" here from all of you.)
But you don't really notice how dirty they are until you go to clean them. I got used to the dirt. And after a while it just became normal.

How many of us allow things like this to happen in our own lives? And I'm not just talking about windows here. How many times do we allow sin into our lives, maybe even something that isn't "that bad", and excuse it or shove it under the rug?

We think: "Oh it was just one time." or "It wasn't really that bad."

But then one time turns into another, which turns into another, which then sticks to you like a bad habit.

Friends, we have to fight against that. The enemy wants nothing more than to bring you over to his side. He will use any means to do it. And let me tell you, he's good at it.

So for the sake of honesty, I will share my struggle here...publicly....like standing naked in Times Square. Gulp...

I struggle with laziness. Now I know that some of you, that know me, may be surprised by that (then again maybe not haha!). But it's true. It's become a bigger struggle in the recent years too. Most afternoons we have a "quiet time" for personal reading time, followed by a little bit of screen time. I will admit there are days that I just let them watch until late afternoon (gasp!). Not everyday...but sometimes. And honestly, it's mainly because I don't want to deal with stuff. When I get overwhelmed, stressed, or exhausted, I shut down. It's easier that way. Sometimes, I will let it happen for a few days in a row. Then I find myself saying those exact things I posted above...."Oh it was just one time..." or "It's not really that big of a deal."

Sure, a "mental health" day is fine every now and then. In fact, I think it's healthy! But when I use it to shut out what's going on just because I don't want to "adult", it's not.

It's so tempting for me to allow this struggle to continue because the season of life I'm in can be difficult. It's my way of dealing with it, I guess. But you know what? I'm leaning into myself to "cope" not my Savior. He wants me to press into Him in the good, the big struggles, and the little struggles.

I love what the Psalmist says in Psalm 63:8 "My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."

We need to cling to our Savior at all times. He is the immovable unshakeable rock that will sustain us with everything we need.

So what windows do you need to wash? Is there an area of your life that needs to be exposed and washed by Jesus? It sounds scary to let people in on your "junk"...but it's really not because we all struggle with something. So feel free to join me in the "nakedness of Times Square" place. You're not alone! And besides...Jesus already knows your junk anyways. He's waiting for you to unload, repent, and allow Him to take over. It's really freeing when you do. So let's cling to our Savior together :)


No comments:

Post a Comment