Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ministry at Home

About 3 1/2 years ago, the Lord began to whisper in my ear that He wanted me to share the journey that I had been given through speaking...publicly. Now, I am utterly terrified to get up in front of a group of people and speak. That is not my calling...or so I thought:) At first it was just a passing thought. Then I began to have a recurring dream that I was speaking at a women's conference. Then, the Lord started puttingpeople in my life that were suggesting it! I finally got the hint and said "ok" to the Lord. I started my training to speak for an organization called "Stonecroft Ministries". I had never heard of them, but have a relative that works for them. I went to a seminar and then began to write my "story". It took me months to write it. I finally submitted it and was taken to the next step, which was editting and revising. In the meantime, I had the opportunity to speak twice at different places and was really getting excited about what the Lord had in store. Then life happened. I got pregnant again, Savannah was in preschool, and life just got busy. Asher came along and life got even busier! Now I'm homeschooling, raising three young kids, and living on a farm where the business never ends! :) Lately, I've been really discouraged and frustrated trying to figure out why God would clearly call me into a ministry, only to seemingly close the door.Well, this last week I came across a blog/devotional by a mom who was talking about ministry at home. Being a mom IS a ministry! I am supposed to be a living example of Christ to my children everyday! It may not have the excitement that I felt of ministering to other women/adults, but it is definitely exciting:) There is never a dull moment around here!Often times, we stay-at-home moms get so caught up in the busyness of life, that we forget our mission. Our mission field is staring us right in the face every single day. For some kids, we are the only example of Christ they will see. For all of us, we are the main example of Christ that our children will have. Let that sink in a bit...It's heavy!! Once that realization came to me, I realized that maybe the Lord only needed me to share my story in that way on those different occasions. Maybe he will use it again later in life. I don't really know. But I do know that he is giving me the opportunity to be a window into his heart daily, for my children. That is a tremendous privilege and responsibility- at which I fail daily:) I'm so thankful for grace and mercy that can only come from him. AND I'm incredibly thankful that, though I may be the main example, there are plenty of other examples of Christ in my children's lives as well. It really does "take a village" :)



"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:6-7

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the reminder of what we are called to do daily with our children. It is so easy to forget!

    ReplyDelete