Thursday, November 12, 2015

Waiting stinks....but it doesn't have to

I hate waiting. I've never been good at it. It definitely doesn't help that in our culture, you usually don't have to wait for anything. We get irritated when we have to wait more than 2 full seconds for a web page to load! Our fast-paced, instant gratification society just feeds our lack of patience. I'm guilty of falling into that trap more times than I would care to admit. You know how people say not to pray for patience because you will end up getting opportunities to build that characteristic up? Yeah....I definitely don't pray for that yet still find myself meeting those opportunities. And I fail every...single...time. What's even more difficult, is when I feel that God has called me to something or has ignited my passion/excitement for something- only to say "wait". AHHH!!!!! It's kind of like reaching the top of a massive roller coaster and waiting for that "the bottom's dropped out", gut-wrenching sensation in anticipation......only for the coaster to stop. (For those of you that hate roller coasters, you probably relate to that analogy a bit differently!) "Let's go....let's go...let's go!!" is what you're wanting to say to the operator of the coaster. (Or not if you're in the other category.) But instead you sit....and wait. I'm facing that battle right now. I felt a clear calling on my life and even though I knew this would be something that would take time to unfold, here I am- impatiently and anxiously waiting. Once the frustration builds against the waiting, doubt creeps in.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this...

Maybe I heard wrong....

Will this ever happen?!?

If I'm not careful, these doubts and frustrations can lead to bitterness and to me turning my back on something I KNOW has been made clear to me. It's in those moments that I HAVE to turn to Jesus! That is not some Sunday school cliche answer either. It's truth. And it's really that simple. God would not call me to something that He wouldn't equip me to do. And His timing is not mine. Preparation takes time. Molding takes time.

Just for kicks, I looked up the definition of "wait". One particular definition stuck out to me:

-remain in readiness for some purpose

The example that was given with it was one of a train waiting at a platform. That train has a purpose and a scheduled time of departure. The train doesn't know the time it's supposed to leave....but the conductor does. The train remains prepped and ready for the moment when the conductor says it's time to go! That may be a poor example, but it struck a chord with me. I need to be prepped and ready to go. I don't know when this particular train will move, but when the conductor says it's go time I need to be ready. So I will use this "waiting" time to prepare. God wants me to be content where I am. And right now I'm in a waiting period. And that's ok. There's so much I can learn during this time. THAT is exciting! I need to use this time wisely and draw closer to Jesus in a way that only this season can bring.

Are you in a season of waiting? If so, don't let frustration win. Use this time to prep! Jesus is always trying to teach you something and refine your heart so that His reflection can be seen in it. :) Enjoy the wait!

Isaiah 40:31 "but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

No comments:

Post a Comment